Digital Ministry Specialist
- Part Time position
- 15 hours per week, flexible
- Initial pay rage: $18/hour*
- Work from home possible
Valley United Methodist Church (West Des Moines), a progressive, inclusive, socially minded church, is expanding its outreach with a new part-time digital ministry specialist.
The digital ministry specialist will be responsible for the church’s digital presence, with the purpose of elevating our online presence, outreach, and ministry in ways that connect people more effectively with Valley UMC and what we offer. This includes sharing the story of our church to external audiences, encouraging engagement, and keeping persons informed about the life of our church. We plan fifteen hours per week for this position, with some flex-time possible week-to-week and occasional additional hours depending on the season.
Duties include oversight, strategy and execution of our website and social media channels. The specialist will provide relevant content regularly on social media and via e-mail updates while tracking metrics and monitoring relevant conversations. Other duties include developing innovative media content across web, mobile and email platforms. The specialist also will produce reports and offer actionable recommendations that can maximize site rankings and increase our digital visibility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Keep our website content fresh, including suggesting and, where possible, implementing improvements to its design and functionality
- Serve as content manager for the church’s online presence; develop a social media content calendar with regular posts (at least four per week); coordinate web projects; develop and post appropriate content from various ministries
- Support our worship livestream, including through preparing materials each week for Sunday worship services such as PowerPoint presentations and announcements.
- Copyedit and proofread all web content; maintain a consistent look and feel throughout all web platforms
- Update our email communication strategy, including selecting an email service provider, and create and maintain templates for email subscriptions.
- Create online event registrations, signups, and forms
- Work with the pastor to develop web and social media resources to supplement and enhance Valley’s online presence
- Keep current with emerging web technologies through relevant blogs, listservs, and events
- Monitor all conversations on our social media platforms
- Assist our leaders in decisions about budgeting, programming, and support needed to strengthen the effectiveness of the church’s digital ministry.
- Help implement new technology in meeting spaces that allows for virtual participation
- Assure web-based information is archived for future needs and reference
- Work cooperatively with pastor, leaders, and other staff
- Other responsibilities as assigned, based on the gifts, talents, and passions of the employee and the emerging digital ministry needs of the church
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- A Christ-centered heart for this ministry, and familiarity with a church’s programming and mission of outreach.
- Demonstrated communication skills, especially in digital media.
- A solid understanding of the social media universe, including existing and emerging channels
- Experience with online creation, editing, and metrics in WordPress, YouTube, Facebook, e-newsletters, and other platforms.
- The ability to coordinate effectively with various church staff and leaders, and to support the church’s emerging brand identity.
- Experience managing web analytics applications (i.e., Google Analytics, etc.) is a plus
- Strong interpersonal skills & the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
- Detail-oriented; editing, writing, punctuation, and proofreading skills necessary
- Flexibility in scheduled work hours based upon special events and projects
Most of the specialist’s work can be performed remotely, with flexible scheduling (other than weekly coordination during daytime hours on T, W, or Th). Paid time off accrues from the start of employment.
*Initial pay rate includes the possibility of a raise to as much as $20/hour (to be determined by our Personnel committee) aftersix months of exemplary service.
Contact email@example.com for more information or to submit an application (cover letter, resume, and references).